Holiday Home Safety Tips
By Jason Michael
The winter holidays are a time for celebration. This includes more cooking, more decorating, more entertaining, and with that, an increased risk of fire and accidents. With proper preparation and forethought, your holiday season can be safe and enjoyable. The following is a list of guidelines which can help protect your family and friends.
- Whenever possible use flame-resistant, flame-retardant, and non- combustible lighting and materials.
- Keep candles away from combustible materials.
- Inspect previously used light strings. Replace damaged items before plugging in lights.
- Keep children and pets away from light strings and electrical decorations.
- Be sure lights used on the exterior are certified for outdoor use.
- Plug all outdoor lighting into a GFCI receptacle.
- Turn all lights off when going to bed or leaving the house to reduce the risk of fire.
- In homes with small children, take special care to avoid decorations that are sharp and breakable.
- When purchasing an artificial tree, look for the fire-resistant label.
- When purchasing a real tree, look at freshness to reduce the risk of fire.
- When setting up a tree at home, place it away from all heat sources.
- Make sure the tree base is stable to avoid tip over.
- Keep tree stands full of water to avoid them drying out.
Children and Pets
- Poinsettias are known to be poisonous to humans and animals, so keep them well out of reach.
- Keep decorations at least 6 inches above a child's reach.
- Watch children and pets around fireplaces and space heaters and never leave them unattended.
- Unattended cooking is the leading cause of house fires. When cooking for visitors be sure not to leave the oven unattended.
- Keep matches and lighters out of the reach of children.
- Test your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors for proper function.
- Use your home alarm system.
- If you plan to travel for the holidays, don’t discuss your plans with strangers or post on social media.
- Have a friend or neighbor keep an eye on your home.
All of us at Home Spectors wish you a joyous and safe Holiday Season!